Thursday, June 2, 2011

Gearing Up -- Hats

Next week we begin the 2011 excavations at the Vicus ad Martis, and I am packing my bags.  About this time last year I blogged about excavation footwear, noting that Italian law states that excavators must wear steel-toed boots.  Last year I duly complied with a nice pair of Timberlands -- suitable for digging, "This Old House," and 90s hip-hop.  They served me well and survived for another season.  They will be coming with me.  My only choice -- wear them and save room in my bag, or pack them and have a more comfortable flight.  I'm leaning toward the latter.

Last season's hat, however, did not survive.  My straw hat, a faithful companion since ca. 1998, died in Provence post-dig.  It now rests in peace somewhere near Aix-en-Provence.  What better place for a straw hat to see its final days?  Of course, that means that I must choose a new hat.  This summer I'm going with the Tilley Hat.  This hat has die-hard fans in diverse corners of the globe, and it does appear to be well made.  I've had a number of imitation Tilleys over the years, but this time I decided to cough up the money and buy a real one.  I admit, I am sucker for their advertising.


They highlight Canadian workmanship (I suppose those guys earn a living wage) and the lifetime warranty.  The literature that comes with the hat (yes, it comes with something like a manual) suggests that the owner is now part of club of adventure hat connoisseurs.  Oh, and the hat floats -- a feature I doubt I will be able to take advantage of.  Although, we did get down below the water table last summer.

I've been testing out the Tilley -- painting the backyard fence, walking to the park.  So far, it has held up well in the Oklahoma summer.  We will see if it can take digging in Umbria!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment